One morning in October of 2014, I got the brilliant idea while searching the internet waiting for clinic to start, to build a boat. The boat plans are from Glen-L, a naval architect whose collection of plans now totals in the 100's. The experience has been amazing, enduring periods of peaceful monotony interspersed with rewarding moments of prideful accomplishment. The boat design is called the Malahini and is a 16 foot runabout outboard. I began the project in November 2014, reviewing the plans and picking out the wood and supplies. The timber is all mahogany and douglas fir plywood and fastened with bronze and epoxy.
November 2014 - Collecting the lumber with Sophia
Claire helping to lay out the gussets
Frames and transom completed December 2014 Boat stem with breasthook and chine blockingSetting up the building formRunning the chineClamping the sheerRunning the battensGraham helping to fair the sheerPrefitting the plywood sides
Laminating transom with mahogany strips in a herringbone pattern
After sanding and flush trim router bit action
Applying mahogany strips to sides
Filling all screw holes
After layer of 7 oz fiberglass cloth and adding the keel and splash rail
Painting the bottom with System 3 polyurethane Shaw blue
Graham inspecting the bottom finish
July 2015 - Preparing for the "Boat Flippin' Party"
On the new trailer
After removing the building form from the inside of the boat
Running mahogany pattern on the floor
Graham hanging out in the motor well
After several coats of epoxy
Running conduit for later rigging
Dashboard after laser etching and filling labels and boat name "Lauren Michelle"
Finishing the inside walls with mahogany strips
Laying out the front seats
Rear view of the dash and new seats
Graham behind the wheel
Laying the subdeck
Building the perimeter deck
Planking the deck
Finished planking and sanding the deck
Finishing up the motorwell painting
After epoxy and WR-LPU clear polyurethane sprayed on
Upholstery just in. Sophia testing out.
Finished the deck hardware, ready for the motor
Just rigged with Yamaha f70
Running on a plane
Boat test with 2 full sized adult males, full gear, extra props, tools and 6 gal fuel, Yamaha f70:With 13.25 diameter 16 inch pitch SS prop had 3.5s to plane, top end 37mph 5600rpm.With 13.5 diameter 15 inch pitch Al prop had 3.0s to plane, top end 37mph 6300rpm.
I was very impressed with the performance. There was no porpoising even with the motor trimmed up. It corners well with a little bit of a slide to be expected with a flat bottom boat with a small keel. The boat was dry but got a little spray when turning into the wind with some 6 inch chop on the lake with 20mph wind. I'm quite impressed with the design of the boat and predictability of performance. I probably constructed a little heavier than the typical 450lb build weight although I have not weighed it yet. I used 1/8 inch mahogany veneer on the sides, 1/4 inch mahogany pattern on the floor, and 1/4 inch mahogany for the inner wall. The seats are solid and I went through a couple more gallons of epoxy extra as a result of the extra woodwork and overkill on the encapsulation of the bilge.